The taste of food, its texture...it can bring you to places you never thought of...a combination of flavors that toy arond with the senses...come join the adventure...

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Niku Jaga: Home grown style

Its been a loong time since one of my cooking experiments, partly due to the past typhoons tearing up our makeshift kitchen. Well, we got a few implements up and running so I was able to do a little experiment with a Japanese dish called Niku Jaga.

Niku Jaga is essentially the Japanese version of the meat and potatoes stew. Mostly made of potatoes, carrots, minced onions and a few pieces of meat for flavoring, stewed up in sweet soy sauce. Its a Japanese staple, mostly in the winter, and usually served with white rice and miso.

But for my experiment, I was doing an expressed Niku Jaga...Pinoy style. Since me and my boy love potatoes in meat stew, I thought of making the dish with Filipino cuisine based meat stew or sauce.


Remembering the tips and steps I remembered from various anime on preparing this dish, I first tossed the crazy cut potatoes in rock salt and pepper. then saute them in oil and garlic.

With a thin coat of textured potatoes appearing, I then added the "essence of pork" cube in the mix.

after a while, I put the 'Menudo" sauce mix in water, stirred till dissolved, before adding it to the saute. I then immediately added the diced carrots and onions in the pan.

Boil until the potatoes and carrots are done.



Enjoy!!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment